How to Survive in the Faerie World
Jude Duarte, protagonist of The Cruel Prince by Holly Black, has managed to survive in the dangerous world of faeries through a combination of quick thinking, constant vigilance, and luck. Think you have what it takes to journey into a land as enchanting as it is deadly? Here are our top tips before you go…
1. Remember that fairies are gorgeous… but dangerous.
“They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.”
2. Be wary of food and drink.
“Faerie fruit, which muddles the mind, which makes humans crave it enough to starve themselves for another taste…”
3. Learn how to resist faerie enchantments–they can hypnotize you to do anything.
“I can practically smell the glamour in the air. He’s weaving magic with his words.”
4. Sometimes planning won’t be enough and you’ll have to face the faeries head-on, with a knife, sword, or arrows… so make sure you can use them.
“There are so many broken things that I don’t know how to fix. But I know how to fight.”
5. Remember that you will never be one of them… but there are advantages to being human, like being able to lie.
“If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse.”
Are you ready? The Cruel Prince is out now, waiting for you to enter a world unlike any other… enjoy!